Wow, what an amazing opening day.
We weren't sure if we could top that, but then we looked at the Thursday entertainment schedule and special events and we changed it from our Top 5 things not to miss, to our Top 7!
1. Soak up some of Penticton’s famous sun and sand on Skaha Beach as you watch teams sculpt and build their creations in the annual Sandcastle Competition. Registration takes place at the east end of the beach near the
sundial at 4 p.m. Sculpture time is from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. (6:30 p.m. for the kids categories).
2. This is one of the bands that if you didn’t catch them last year, someone was surely to tell you that you missed out on something amazing. The Heroes of Rock ’n Roll pay tribute to some of the biggest rock/metal bands of all time including AC/DC, Van Halen, Metallica, Def Leppard, The Who and more. Each of the seven members of the band are masters at their craft and have amazing stage presence.
3. Brraap! Mega Motocross is back and promise an even bigger show (how is that even possible?!) than last year. Catch FMX riders Jeff Fehr, Kris Garwasiuk, Jay Soltes, Chris Nolan and Kyle Demelo doing their thing twice today (noon and 4 p.m.) in front of Okanagan Lake Park. There will also be a ton of prize giveaways.
4. Annual favourite William James has been a Peach Festival staple. He keeps the crowd laughing along with those brave enough to offer themselves to be put under his spell. The interactive performance typically has those hypnotized running through the crowd looking for celebrities, dancing and doing other hilarious things. He is in the park from 2:30 to 3:50 p.m.
5. If you haven’t had a chance to get over to Rotary Park (near the Peach on Okanagan Lake) hop over and enjoy fun rides, games, food and more for kids big and small with Shooting Stars Amusements. Are you brave enough to ride the Zipper? Shooting Star Amusements is opens at 5 p.m. on Thursday. Visit them on Facebook to see their daily deals.
6. Grab your partner and do-si-do. The 15th annual Peachfest Square Dance Festival takes place at the Penticton Seniors Drop-In Centre. Enjoy dancers at various levels of square and round dancing with casual dancing at 9:30 a.m., roundoree at 2 p.m., pre-rounds at 7 p.m.
7. Two words. April Wine. Their hit catalogue includes Roller, Just Between You and Me, I Like to Rock, You Could Have Been A Lady and so many more.
Click here for the link to today's schedule for Okanagan Lake Park, and remember all the entertainment is free — no tickets required!